Domestic Violence FAQs and Resources

What is Domestic Violence?

Domestic Violence (DV) is a term that covers violence within the home and between family members, including Intimate Partner Violence, Teen Dating Violence, and Child Abuse.

Learn more about these DV terms here.

Read statistics about DV here and here.

What is a PFA? A PFA (Protection From Abuse) order is a protective order granted by a judge that directs a defendant to cease any abuse. It is meant to prevent further abuse. In some situations it could possibly contain other forms of relief such as eviction, no contact, temporary custody and/or support, firearms relinquishment, and a directive to not post anything about or pictures of the survivor on social media.

How can I get a PFA? If you are in Franklin or Fulton county, please call with WIN hotline at 717-264-4444 to speak with a legal advocate who can explain and assist with the PFA process.

Does domestic violence only include physical abuse? No, domestic violence is not necessarily just physical abuse. It can also be emotional, sexual, financial, and technology abuse. If you are in an abusive relationship with an intimate partner, call our hotline at 717-264-4444.

How Can I Escape My Abusive Partner? If you are in immediate danger, call law enforcement or 911. Otherwise, call the WIN hotline to discuss safety planning with a trained advocate: 717-264-4444.

What if I have other questions about abuse/domestic violence? A trained WIN advocate is always ready to help talk through your situation. Just call our 24/7 hotline at 717-264-4444. Or, if you are outside of Franklin and Fulton Counties in Pennsylvania, call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233.

Other Helpful Resources